Friday, November 14, 2008

Programme! Get yer programme!

While I was over I got along to see Celtic's wins over Motherwell and Kilmarnock.

There is a great stall out the back of the Lisbon Lions stand (Janefield Street) that sells Celtic match programmes going back to the 50's and 60's. Some of the ones from European ties in particular are beautiful. I bought these two back with me: games against clubs from two cities I visited during the summer. The Red Star Belgrade challenge match programme features an article about Celtic's record (up to then) against Eastern European opposition - from this I discovered that the home tie against Wisla Krakow in 1976 ended 2-2 before Celtic were knocked out of the competition in Poland in the second leg, losing 2-0 on the night and 4-2 on aggregate. My scant internet research into the outcome of the Red Star challenge match has yielded no results as yet.



The guys who run this stall keep a website: Glasgow Programmes. They have a huge collection for sale from a whole variety of Scottish and English clubs down the years. Some other Celtic covers taken from this site I am fond of:



No comments: